Your dealers have a huge advantage in their face-to-face interactions with consumers, providing a great opportunity to openly communicate, educate and put themselves in a better position to make a sale over people in industries where the interpersonal contact is strictly digital. However, digital marketing is an important part of the process leading up to that direct contact between car dealer and consumer. In the best-case-scenario, you can have a sale nearly completed before they even hit the lot.
Big Data and Innovation
Big data is a part of most discussions when it comes to marketing strategies regardless of the industry. Big data is helping auto manufacturers to include enticing new features in their products, including the following, which can help dealerships to keep consumers abreast of the future of the driving experience:
- Better communication with the driver, such as letting them know when maintenance is required
- Real-time communication while traveling, including information on wait times at nearby retailers, such as coffee shops
- Manage day-to-day tasks, such as finances and emails, from their cars
- Data allows for better infrastructure planning for city planners
It’s really an exciting time in terms of knowing the impact on customer acquisition and the trends that are shaping the future (and in many cases, the present) of the auto industry and what’s available to consumers.
Utilizing Digital Marketing Tools
Big data is also being used to assist dealerships in their attempts to pull in more customers. You don’t have to rely solely on expensive marketing lists anymore thanks to the various ways data is being used.
If your typical marketing scenario looks like this, you might consider how big data can help you:
- You utilize dealer management systems or lists to identify your target market
- You use direct mail or email campaigns as first contact attempts
- The focus of your dealership is on traditional advertising, i.e. newspaper, radio and tv ads
This process is not only time-consuming, it’s also somewhat expensive, and it doesn’t always end with great results or with a good return on your investment.
A better use of your time and money is to focus on data science and predictive analytics, which can put you in direct contact with active buyers. This method uses a large number of key analytics and demographics of your target audience to identify your best chances for a sale.
You can develop a marketing campaign with a solid strategy for reliable results. Plug in variables such as lifestyle choices, income, offline research behavior, trajectory and brand loyalty (among many others) to pinpoint your most active target audience.
The landscape is changing, and unless you want to be behind your competition, it’s time to invest some energy into this field of data science for a more robust marketing approach.